Thursday, October 26, 2006

Christ and Halloween

I have been forced into a bi-vocational pastorate while I have been at the First Baptist Church of Burden, Ks for the last five years. This small town does not offer much in the way of outside employment, but I have found bus/van driving for the school and substitute teaching to work well with my schedule and besides it is extra income for my family. In many ways it has been a blessing to be a part-time pastor.

This week I have been substituting at Central High School of Burden. Once again, I am amazed at how much these kids look forward to the over-rated holiday of Halloween. I don't think it is just to ring doorbells and say trick or treat either. It is far more than that! I just had a talk with a student about light and darkness awhile ago. Since I have been at the school most of the week the kids have had to write papers and assignments on Halloween, so obviously that is what many are focusing on.

I always enjoy being in the classroom because being a small high school they all know I am a pastor at the Baptist church. It has really worked to my advantage. It makes for great conversations with the kids especially at this time of the year.

As a result of my conversations with teenagers, I am once again reminded of the importance of a youth ministry in the local church. As you know there is much out there in the world, Satan is out to take our children. The church has a wonderful opportunity to shine the light of Jesus Christ to our kids. Let's don't forget about them.

I am linking a great article by John MacArthur dealing with Christians and Halloween.

No comments: