Thursday, October 12, 2006

Living for Whom? Compromise or Contend

In these post modern times of churches leaving their first love, I can't help but think of the words, warnings, and admonishments of Paul. They seem so appropriate for this day in age - as Christians we have tough choices to make on how we live our lives and what we ultimately stand for. This is nothing new, -- Paul faced these same circumstances and had to do battle with the pagans in the pews on a regular basis. If we are to be people of the truth we have to be willing to contend in the strongest of ways, so that Christ's glory is displayed in how we take our stands and run our churches. We must be willing to name the white-washed tombs as Paul did and let the chips fall where they may.

This may seem harsh, this may even seem divisive - but in this day in age this is what it means to follow Christ. Sometimes I believe we need to do as Christ did and drive out those who have turned God's house into a den of iniquity.

Final Warnings


2Corinthians 13
13:1 This is the third time I am coming to you. Every charge must be established by the evidence of two or three witnesses. 2 I warned those who sinned before and all the others, and I warn them now while absent, as I did when present on my second visit, that if I come again I will not spare them— 3 since you seek proof that Christ is speaking in me. He is not weak in dealing with you, but is powerful among you. 4 For he was crucified in weakness, but lives by the power of God. For we also are weak in him, but in dealing with you we will live with him by the power of God.

5 Examine yourselves, to see whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves. Or do you not realize this about yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you?—unless indeed you fail to meet the test! 6 I hope you will find out that we have not failed the test. 7 But we pray to God that you may not do wrong—not that we may appear to have met the test, but that you may do what is right, though we may seem to have failed. 8 For we cannot do anything against the truth, but only for the truth. 9 For we are glad when we are weak and you are strong. Your restoration is what we pray for. 10 For this reason I write these things while I am away from you, that when I come I may not have to be severe in my use of the authority that the Lord has given me for building up and not for tearing down.

1Timothy 1:17-20
17 To the King of ages, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen.
18 This charge I entrust to you, Timothy, my child, in accordance with the prophecies previously made about you, that by them you may wage the good warfare, 19 holding faith and a good conscience. By rejecting this, some have made shipwreck of their faith, 20 among whom are Hymenaeus and Alexander, whom I have handed over to Satan that they may learn not to blaspheme.

Luke 10:10-11
10 But whenever you enter a town and they do not receive you, go into its streets and say, 11 ‘Even the dust of your town that clings to our feet we wipe off against you. Nevertheless know this, that the kingdom of God has come near.’


The Holy Bible : English standard version. 2001

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen and Amen! It is time that the church stand up and be counted.

What a dreadful day it will be for a pastor to stand before God and have him declare that he has not taken a stand for the truth as he should have.

A pastor needs to remember that he is paid by God and not by man, so even if he resigns a church God will take care of him finacially; after all God pays his salary not man.